Vermont Center for Emerging Technologies (VCET) is seeking a rock star Associate to experience firsthand what it takes to start, scale, and sustain a leading innovative hub in Vermont. This position is focused on digital marketing.
VCET is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that serves Vermont’s entrepreneurs and companies from start to scale through active coaching, mentorship, coworking spaces, community events, smart introductions, and investment.
About our team:
We are a small (3 people!) but mighty crew that works hard and plays hard. Our north star is the entrepreneur. Everyday is different. We are passionate about building relationships and trust with the folks we work with. We put equity, inclusion, and belonging first and are looking for candidates that do the same.
We love coming to work everyday, and we will work hard to make sure you feel the same way!
- Be able to fully immerse yourself in the VCET brand to understand what we do and why we do it. This is essential to telling the VCET story in all situations and across all platforms, whether in person or online.
- Pro-actively produce visual and written content for VCET’s social media and marketing channels under the supervision of our team:
- Research and write accurate, entertaining, and insightful blog posts for VCET’s website and other channels.
- Interview VCET’s current and former members and companies to share their stories.
- Assist in managing PR efforts.
- Help communicate with VCET’s members through email, Slack, and other channels.
- Support VCET produced and hosted events: Attend and participate in all VCET events.
- Help moderate the Vermont Startup Collective: manage applications, add valuable content, engage in conversations, etc.
- Operational support at VCET’s state of the art coworking facility:
- Give tours to potential new members
- Order access badges for new members
- Keep the space clean, safe, accessible, engaging and inspiring
- Assist in executing strategic projects and administrative tasks as assigned.
- Potentially take on individual projects for VCET member and portfolio companies, as assigned.
- A willingness to learn!
- You’re a thorough and consistent communicator. You can present yourself in a professional manner while representing VCET.
- You have exceptional written and oral communication skills. You’re not afraid to pick up the phone call someone when email just won’t cut it!
- You’re curious, positive, creative, and have an entrepreneurial spirit. You’re eager to propose and execute new ideas.
- Comfortable meeting and interacting with new people.
- You’re self-driven and proactive: you consistently go above and beyond minimum requirements, but you’re never afraid to ask for help when you need it.
- Your friends would describe you as a flexible team-player, always willing to help others.
- You’re an eager learner and are always receptive to feedback.
‘Icing on the Cake’ (Bonus points but not required)
- Prior experience with any of the responsibilities listed above.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- You attend (or recently graduated from) a Vermont college or university.
- You have a passion for digital marketing.
- You’re interested in not-for-profit management and community development, understand and appreciate our core values and mission to support Vermont’s entrepreneurs.
Compensation and Schedule:
- Location: VCET’s Burlington, VT office and remote (flexible).
- $15/hour, no other benefits.
- ASAP-December 2021 (flexible).
- 10-20 hours/week must be devoted to this internship. Exact schedule to be determined depending on applicant’s schedule and VCET’s needs.
- Some after hours events required.
- 24/7 access to our state of the art coworking space, including fun team lunches, a hammock, limitless coffee, and ping pong!
- Mentorship from the VCET team.
- Connecting with key contacts in the world of entrepreneurship, marketing, and venture capital.
- A laid back, fun environment to work in that celebrates learning from mistakes, openness, growth, and differences.
- Current resume
- Cover letter telling us why should you be the next VCET Associate
- 2 written references i.e. letters of recommendation (including contact info and phone numbers so that we can follow up with each reference)
- In order to make sure you’re the right fit for our team, we ask you to submit the following:
- Create a sample VCET newsletter. We understand that this will take some of your time and we appreciate your commitment to making sure this opportunity is a good fit. In doing so, it is important you keep our audience in mind (Vermont-based entrepreneurs, coworking members, board members, and other key stakeholders). The newsletter can be created using any platform or format you’re comfortable with (word doc, pdf, web page, etc), and should include the following elements:
- An fictional event of your creation, including event details, an image, and event description
- Introduce yourself as the new VCET Associate
- Share 3 relevant industry resources or news updates that would be relevant for VCET’s audience
- Note: Make sure that the content is in line with VCET’s brand voice and brand identity.
- Create a sample social media post for VCET. This can be for either Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
Note: any documents not supported through the Handshake portal can be emailed to email@example.com.